My Favorite Skillshare Classes

10:45 AM


I'm a big advocate of self-learning and an avid user of online resources like Skillshare and Lynda.com. Whether you want to learn how to use software like Photoshop or Illustrator, learn specific skills like surface pattern design, creating textures for screen print, or even how to write a business proposal or manage your first clients, Skillshare and Lynda.com have you covered!

So I wanted to share with you today my favorite Skillshare classes. I've taken these over the last month or so and since I've been particularly interested in illustration and hand-lettering, that's where a lot of these focus. While this list is far from being exhaustive, it does sum up my favorites so far - classes that I both really enjoyed and learned a lot from.

1. For hand-lettering - pretty much any class from Mary Kate McDevitt is great, she's a little quirky in her teaching style but her talent and work is truly inspiring. And I think it's a really special thing that she shares all her secrets!


An Online Skillshare Class by Mary Kate McDevitt

2. For poster design - Ellen Lupton is the queen of typography and I've been a big fan ever since I stumbled upon her book Thinking with Type years ago. Her course here is interesting and insightful.



An Online Skillshare Class by Ellen Lupton

3. For illustrating random things - Kate Bingaman-Burt takes you through how she collects and illustrates and digitizes different things around her. It's a quick and fun class, and something that you can practice immediately!


An Online Skillshare Class by Kate Bingaman-Burt

4. Again for lettering - Jessica Hische is a big name, I first learned of her as the designer of Dave Egger's The Circle. Here she walks you through a fun drop cap project.


An Online Skillshare Class by Jessica Hische

5. For digitizing calligraphy - ok, admittedly, this one is specific. Molly Suber Thorpe wrote the book Modern Calligraphy and I was thrilled to take this class and learn how she digitizes her work. Also works for hand-lettering projects.


An Online Skillshare Class by Molly Suber Thorpe

6. For photography - this course walks you through everything about photography, especially helpful for learning your DSLR


An Online Skillshare Class by Phil Ebiner

7. For learning Photoshop


An Online Skillshare Class by Meg Lewis

8. For surface pattern design


An Online Skillshare Class by Jenn Coyle

Do you have any experiences with these or other classes? Have I missed anything related to illustration or hand-lettering? Let me know your favorites in the comments below.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Briana, thanks so much for sharing and including my Watercolor Meets SPD class! I'm so happy you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for sharing your knowledge in the class - and also for visiting my blog! :)

      Delete